Message in a Bottle Theme

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Dinner was AWEsome and Mom took the day off!!!

Soooo, yeah, as many of you know, this past Saturday was the last day EVER for customers to shop the remaining products at Scrapbook Island...  It's hard to believe that the day came and went and here we are the Tuesday after, and what does my mom do?  She takes the day off!!!  Her first day off in 5 years that wasn't scheduled, a holiday, or a sick day!!!  Not two months ago, we were still imagining that the store closing was still years away...  It just shows how quickly things can change as a result of this economy.  And by the way, can I just say that I "HATE" that phrase, now?  "This economy" has become as annoying to me as a driver that doesn't use their blinker when they change lanes or make a turn. 

But anyway, let me tell you how freeing it feels to be released of the responsibility of the store!!!  Last night I got home and mom was there shortly after and I made some DELICIOUS new dinner recipes that I picked out online from AllRecipes.com.  I'm going to be slightly obsessed now that I've found I can make such deliciousness!  I made a Grilled Brown Sugar Pork Chop recipe for the meat and here is what it looked like:


I didn't take the picture, but our pork looked just like this!  It was a wonderful flavor and here's the recipe:
Ingredients:

1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup apple juice
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
salt and pepper to taste
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 cup water
6 boneless pork chops

Directions
1.Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
2.In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, apple juice, oil, soy sauce, ginger, salt , and pepper. Bring to boil. Combine water and cornstarch in small bowl, and whisk into brown sugar mixture. Stir until thick.
3.Brush grate lightly with oil before placing pork chops on the grill. Cook over hot coals for 10 to 12 minutes, turning once. Brush with sauce just before removing chops from grill. Serve with remaining sauce.
 
The other two recipes were a Garlic Corn on the Cob and a Watermelon Cooler Slushy, check them out!!!
 

I'm excited for the summer to begin to feel like a real summer that my family can enjoy like every other average American!!!


No comments: